The Grey Fox in the Chicken Barn

I have never been able to fully embrace the work of Lew Welch.  He has been suggested to me numerous times over the years as a poet whose work I would enjoy, and thus I dutifully track down a copy of Ring of Bone or more recently his potluck How I Work As A Poet.  And each time I come to the conclusion that he is not for me.  That said, I greatly enjoy coming across anything by Donald Allen's Grey Fox Press, which kept Welch before a reading public after Welch walked away from poetry in 1971 never to be seen again.  If not for Allen's efforts, Welch might very well have disappeared without a trace altogether.

While roaming in a bookshop if I come across a Grey Fox title, I always pick it up and more often than not take it away with me, such as my copy of Gary Snyder's Passage Through India that I bought at the Chicken Barn outside of Ellsworth.  The orange covers have faded to yellow, no doubt by the Gay Sunshine, the interview conducted by Allen Young with Allen Ginsberg, that I also picked up at a used bookstore years ago.  Composed on the Tongue.  The Good Blonde.  Old Angel Midnight.  All used bookshop purchases; all found through browsing and happy chance.  I never set out to find a Grey Fox, but I am always filled with wonder when I see one lurking in the stacks or hiding in a box.

The day I bought Passage Through India I also bought T.S. Eliot's On Poetry and Poets, in the 1957 Farrar hardcover edition, which sat on the same shelf of the Grey Fox title in the literary essay section.  On Poetry and Poets contains Eliot's essay What is Minor Poetry?  The backlist for Grey Fox Press provides an answer to that question in terms of New American Poetry rather than Eliot's New Criticism.  I am always pleased by the juxtapositions and associations that I find in my stack of books picked up after a day of hitting the used bookstores.  Much more satisfying than downloading What Is Minor Poetry? off of JSTOR for $44.  A simultaneously richer and cheaper experience to be sure.

JB

1 comments:

Simm said...

[ KiTRUPT ]
Knock to Hire the best Realible and Fastest HACKERS on the Web Point Today. We give you HACKING SERVICES better than any HACKING group you can ever find in the internet. Our HACKERS are available in time and quick Response of the Day, Always ready to attend to you at any time Factor in the day, Anywhere in the world
There are no limits to what we can do. Don’t be surprised you heard we say this, on zero limit Hacking isn’t as difficult as it sounds, as so many HACKING equipments(softwares, virus, spyware, Trojan) are made available in the dark web and this has made HACKING very easy to perform as magical with [ kitrupt ].We provide the latest equipment rendered for best and benefits to our services, There are different varieties of Hacking Service we offer To our Best point, Such As-:▪️ PHONE HACk, CLONING & TRACKING Computer HACKING Email Tracking Scammers lo IF you need hacking services of any of the listed or more, { KITRUPT } are the best available group you should contact,we can assure you hundred percent service provider. We have a strong policy that covers our Clients Privacy. We do not ask our Clients Targets and intention for any job given to us, we simply do our job and provide a strong security target to Clients, so that our Server services can’t be traced to them for safety propose:. Payment for our services will only be collected after Customers have certified and confirmed the completion of their job. For no reason do we collect Upfront for services. But note that Customers will have to pay for Hacking Equipments if necessary before a job would be committed done. Beware of FRAUDSTERS claiming to be HACKERS and Ripping people of their Funds, they saying things and share false lieing lip testimonies to Attract people and Lure you to them. They are everywhere in the internet, Be-careful of the rough attention towards them. We have come across so many of this FRAUDSTERS Victims : Beware of this Zero Fatalities. Our Email lead you to US directly:.Bellow directly:.Bellow directly:.Bellow are list of our emails you can contact: if you need our services: Email-:.
KITRUPT@gmailll .com

KITRUPT @ gmail. com ... ...




Post a Comment